It is a challenge with each new edition of Microsoft SharePoint installing the prerequisites offline.
Why do we need to install the SharePoint offline without internet connection?
Two answers could fit this questions:
1. Security policy in some organizations which they need an internal portal not connected online to avoid security vulnerabilities.
2. Developer physical/virtual machine which doesn’t have internet connection.
You will find below four package files could be directly downloaded from my own file share hosting which would be suitable on all the possible common scenarios:
1. Windows Server 2012 + SQL Server 2012
2. Windows Server 2012 + SQL Server 2008R2
3. Windows Server 2008R2 + SQL Server 2012
4. Windows Server 2008R2 + SQL Server 2008R2
Those four compressed files includes the following:
1. All the required prerequisites executable files.
2. Installation Scripts files.
3. Guide file in case of Windows Server 2012
The big challenge is the installation on Windows Server 2012. Why?
Before the prerequisites installation, the SharePoint of course would require the IIS role to be installed. Some of the important components (.Net Framework 3.5) are required for this role and can be installed by two methods; the first is online and the second is offline by attaching the installation disk of Windows Server 2012 to install the missing files which are not installed by default with the initial Windows installing.
Therefore, I’ve searched online until I found an amazing PowerShell script file was created by Craig Lussier – http://craiglussier.com which you will need it before installing the prerequisites to install all the required IIS role components.
For installing the prerequisites on Windows Server 2012, please follow up the following procedures and I guarantee for you with God willing that the installing will be successful:
1. Download the suitable package file for (SQL Server 2008R2 or SQL Server 2012).
2. Unpack the file into a folder on a root disk drive better with enough permission for reading and executing.
3. Read the “00. Installation Guide.txt” file carefully or read the next procedures here.
4. Open the PowerShell “Run as Administrator“.
5. Copy and pasted the PowerShell script from the file “01. Set PowerShell’s Execution Policy.txt” in the “PowerShell” window and then hit the “Enter” key twice to execute the script.
6. Run the PowerShell script file “02. Install-SP2013RolesFeatures.ps1” inside the opened PowerShell window. (It’s better if you call the container folder first by the “CD” command and the use the “Tab” key to use the auto complete to load the PowerShell script file name and the hit the “Enter” key).
7. The installation would ask you if you want to install the IIS role offline or online. You get to follow up the instruction shown by the script file in order to pass it the right installation folder from the media disk.
8. After the IIS role installation, you need to run the batch file (“03. Install Prerequisites – 2012.bat“) to install the prerequisites packages.
9. During the installation the system would need to be rebooted couple of times, just reboot it and once the PC get on again you may see error message from the prerequisites installation every time after the rebooting. Just don’t be panic and run the installation again to continue the rest of the prerequisites automatically until you see the successful installation message after the last running for the batch file.
Each time you run the batch file, it detect the installed prerequisites and then it continue automatically the missing ones only.
I hope you find my solution is useful for you.
If you have any further questions or comments, please don’t be hesitated to leave me a comment and I’ll be glad to reply you.